Sunday, February 26, 2017

Team Drea 2017

So, I said I was done running. However, when I quit running a little over a year ago, I started feeling less great on a daily basis. I tried things to fix it, but that level of cardio seems to do something that nothing else can. My personal trainer caught me on a good day and talked me into doing running/walking intervals. It's a lot less horrible! Then came time for me to figure out a new challenge for Team Drea this year - to push myself and raise money for ALS research for Andrea. Last year was a year of reflection for me, so I hiked 179 miles over the course of the year and donated the money myself, which was awesome, but it's time to step it up. So here I am, that girl who said she quit running, committing to doing the Race13.1 Raleigh 10K this fall (10/7/2017). And I will be bugging people for donations again :) because each of us is lucky to be alive and have the health and abilities that we have, even if it's less than what others have.

I apologize for my bluntness here, but this is what Andrea is facing. She has a disease that sounds like a person's worst nightmare. Being totally mentally aware and watching your body slowly stop working, piece by piece, to the point where you can't walk, talk, use ANY of your muscles, and eventually swallow or breathe. I saw a video that rocked me to my core - a man with ALS who could communicate only with his eyes. So, when his lungs or breathing tube get clogged, and his muscles no longer allow him to even cough to clear his own lungs, he triggers an audible alarm that alerts someone to walk over to him and suck the fluid out. The thought of sitting there, choking, unable to do anything about it, waiting for someone to come help... that is purely horrifying to me. And this is only ONE specific scenario in this man's (and his caregivers') daily life. I challenge you to stop and think about this once in a while. Inhale and exhale, and appreciate how easy that is. When your coffee goes down the wrong pipe and you cough it up, appreciate that ability. Walk through the grass, or even across the room, and feel your leg muscles move with ease, and appreciate those neurons and muscles that allow you to do that. Reach down and scratch your leg... reach over and pick up a glass of water, drink it and swallow it... reach out and touch someone you care about, and appreciate that moment. Say hello or thank you to someone, and feel how easily your vocal cords respond and how easily your mouth and tongue move to enunciate. Every little movement is a gift.

This disease is horrible and often affects people who are far healthier and more active than most. We desperately need to find a cure for this. Even a treatment that slows or stops progression would be SOMETHING. Currently there is, for all intents and purposes, NOTHING.

I may set up a new fundraising page, but here is a link to my original one from the obstacle race I did in 2015. Any amount is awesome! And I'm sure these requests for donations get tiresome - I get that. I will try not to blow up Facebook too much with it. It just really means a lot to me.

http://www.active.com/donate/teamblazeman/carrieo

No comments:

Post a Comment